American Institute for Indonesian Studies
Fellowship Details in Applying for AIFIS-CAORC Awards
Deadline for application submission is May 31, 2019.
A complete application consists of:
- Application Form - submitted online: https://orcfellowships.fluidreview.com
Post Doctoral Scholar Application or Doctoral Candidate Application and including:
- Project Description:
On a separate sheet of paper, in 1500 words or less, please describe the nature of your proposed project and your competence to carry out the required research. State your research question and the methods and procedures you will use to conduct your research. Give the reasons why your project requires your presence in Indonesia (e.g., libraries, museums, archives, field sites) that you plan to use while conducting your research. Indicate an Indonesian institution that will sponsor your research. Finally, indicate the extent to which you have investigated other funding sources
- Project Bibliography/Literature Review:
1 page maximum, additional pages will not be submitted to the readers for review.
- Curriculum Vitae:
3 pages maximum, additional pages will not be submitted to the readers for review.
- Two (2) separate letters of recommendation - Ph.D. candidates must have one letter from academic advisor.
- Graduate Transcripts - Ph.D. candidates only
Eligibility requirements apply at the time of application. Applicants must meet all of the following requirements and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin and/or disability.
- Must be a U.S. citizen. Proof of citizenship (photocopy of passport) must be shown upon award notification.
- Must have a Ph.D. or be a doctoral candidate who has completed all Ph.D. requirements with the exception of the dissertation.
The deadline for application submission is May 31 2019, 11:59pm EST.
Fellowships Terms and Conditions
- Fellowships may be awarded to doctoral candidates who have completed all Ph.D. requirements with the exception of the dissertation and scholars who have already received a Ph.D.
- Fellowships will be awarded to U.S. citizens only. Proof of citizenship (photocopy of passport) must be shown upon award notification.
- Applicants must propose and conduct field research in Indonesia.
- Fellowship tenure must be of at least 30 days duration. The fellowship tenure need not be continuous.
- Fellows must complete their fellowships (including submitting a final report) by September 30, 2020. Any unused portion of the stipend must be returned to AIFIS by this date.
- Fellowship awards will not exceed US$6,000. No dependent allowance is available.
- Air travel procured in part or in full with funds from this grant must adhere to the “Fly America” policy.
- AIFIS is unable to provide health or other insurance to its fellows. Fellows are required to supply AIFIS with proof of health insurance as well as emergency evacuation and repatriation of remains insurance before leaving the United States.
- Fellowships are authorized only when AIFIS has given approval and a security clearance has been granted.
- AIFIS does not advise fellows on tax questions concerning their fellowships.
Tips for Letters of Recommendations
- Ask for letters as early as possible. The applicant is responsible for notifying referees of their request for letters and for ensuring those letters are submitted to AIFIS by the deadline.
- All references must be in English.
- Ph.D. candidates must submit one letter from their academic advisor with the Academic Advisor Form.
- Do not submit more references than the two required.
- Letters of recommendation should be sent directly by your referee to https://orcfellowships.fluidreview.com
Important Notes Regarding Applications
- Funding is not available for research conducted in the United States.
- AIFIS’s method of submission is only through https://orcfellowships.fluidreview.com
Once an application is submitted it cannot be resubmitted or edited.
- Ph.D. candidates who will obtain their doctoral degree by May 2019 and plan to use the fellowship for post-doctoral research should apply as a post-doctoral scholar.
- If you are a U.S. citizen Ph.D. candidate studying abroad please send MA transcripts and a letter from the registrar stating that you are registered in the Ph.D. program.
- Fellows are advised that it can take up to six months to obtain the necessary research clearance and should plan accordingly. Air travel must meet Fly America Act policy guidelines.
Method of submission: https://orcfellowships.fluidreview.com
Your project description, project bibliography/literature review, and curriculum vitae can be uploaded as part of your on-line application. Documents in PDF format are preferred. Applicants should request that letters of recommendations be submitted directly by referee to https://orcfellowships.fluidreview.com